Home Page



21. Other support services for parents/ carers of children with SEND include:

  • Derbyshire Information, Advice and Support Service (DIASS) (previously known as Parent Partnership Services) offer independent advice and support to parents and carers of all children and young people with SEND. The nearest DIASS can be contacted via www.derbyshireiass.co.uk.
  • An Independent Supporter for those parents/ carers whose children are being assessed for an EHCP are available to provide guidance to parents regarding the EHCP process. Independent Supporters can be contacted through Umbrella.  A FAQ factsheet on Independent Supporters is located here: https://www.derbyshireiass.co.uk/parents-carers/independent-support/default.asp
  • For parents/ carers who are unhappy with the Local Authority or school responses to their child’s SEND, parents/ carers may seek mediation from the regional mediation services. Information on this free service is located here: https://localoffer.derbyshire.gov.uk/getting_support/education_health_care_plans/mediation/default.asp
  • Parents and carers can also appeal to the Government’s SEND tribunal if you disagree with the Local Authority’s decision about your child’s special educational needs. You can also appeal to the tribunal if the school or council has discriminated against your disabled child. Information on this process is available here: