Home Page



3.       What are the kinds of special educational needs for which provision is made at Church Gresley Infant and Nursery School


  • Children and young people with SEN have different needs, but the general presumption is that all children with SEN but without a Statement of SEN or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) are welcome to apply for a place at our school, in line with the school admissions policy. If a place is available, we will undertake to use our best endeavours, in partnership with parents, to make the provision required to meet the SEN of children at this school.

  • For children with a Statement of SEN or an EHCP, parents have the right to request a particular school and the local authority must comply with that preference and name the school in the EHC plan unless:

    • It would be unsuitable for the age, ability, aptitude or SEN of the child, or

    • The attendance of the child there would be incompatible with the efficient education of others, or the efficient use of resources.

  • Before making the decision to name Church Gresley Infant and Nursery School in a Statement or an EHCP, Derbyshire local authority will send the governing body a copy of the Statement or EHCP and then consider their comments very carefully before a final decision on placement is made. In addition, the local authority must also seek the agreement of school where the draft EHCP sets out any provision to be delivered on their premises that have been secured through a direct payment (personal budget).

  • Parents of a child with a Statement of SEN or an EHCP also have the right to seek a place at a special school if they consider that their child’s needs can be better met in specialist provision.